I had a few problems with the Xubuntu that was installed and decided to replace it with a fresh copy. This didn’t work, and I was also having problem with not having enough Ethernet ports.
Last week this was solved when my Granddad brought a 8 port switch tha had been my uncles.
So, on with Xubuntu? No. A friend said I should try Debian, and after a few failed attempts, I eventually succeeded.
To install I had to use the following line:-
- intall pnpbios=off pci=noacpi
Also there was a few hiccoughs with the partitioner, but finally it’s up and running.
So far have installed the following extra programs via apt-get
- irssi (using this the most as box will be on 24/7)
- elinks (after friend told me was better than lynx)
- eggdrop (but still trying to figure this one out)
- Some others I can’t recall right now
Box has been running more or less constant for few days now and so far seems to be happy. Will report back soon, with how it’s really going (ie if any problems show up).