I was given some money by my Grandparents as my Uncle passed away last year, and amongst things like a new Ham Radio (see www.m0tzo.co.uk) I brought myself a Slingbox Pro. This was as my Slingbox Classic had stopped working.
Once the old Slingbox was removed and I was setting up the new one I realised I had made an error last time I moved the Slingbox. The Cable Modem and Slingbox had been moved to the same shelf. I wasn’t until I was packing up the old Slingbox I found it had the wrong power supply attached.
I checked and I had plugged the Slingbox 6v PSU into the Cable Modem, and the Cable Modem 12v PSU into the Slingbox. So for a few months I have been giving it 6v more than it needed. No wonder it was playing up. I haven’t actually tested if it will work, but offered it free to a friend who will have to test if it works.
So the New SlingBox Pro
The new box is working fine. I have also upgraded the firmware to the latest US version. Everything now seems to be working fine with one exception.
I now have a Nokia N95 8Gb phone. The Slingbox Mobile software works if I connect on the local network. I have also had friends (in Oxford and South Carolina) access the Slingbox, but I can’t use the mobile software if I use O2’s 3G service.
Shortly I will make a post on the O2 forum to see if this is a known problem (ie O2 is blocking) or my phone has a fault. I haven’t tested with my old O2 XDA Orbit phone, but not sure if this will help as it’s not a 3G phone. Guess I will have to live without day-time TV when on my lunch breaks.
Right,must get back to watching TV.