Raspberry Pi Remote Radio

In 2019 I purchased the Yaesu FT-991A radio. It’s a radio with a single cable for control and the built in sound card. My previous Yaesu FT-897D needed separate and many cables.

After running on my Windows 10 laptop and with TeamViewer for a while, I decided I wanted a Raspberry Pi to run radio stuff, instead of my laptop being left on all the time.

I purchased the following items

  • Raspberry Pi 4 4Gb (ebay)
  • Large Heat Sink (The Pi Hut)
  • Stacking Case with Fan (The Pi Hut)
  • PoE Ethernet to Ethernet & USB C

I already had a SD card. The Raspberry Pi arrived before some of the other items, so I started building it. Next to arrive was the PoE adapter.

I loaded the image with Etcher to the SD card and started setting up Raspbian. One early issue was not being able to VNC in, but solved in Raspi-config by setting screen size. So far this has been setup and run headless.

I installed WSJT-X, ADIFPush (for Cloudlog) and GridTracker. I can use a VNC viewer to remotely access the Raspberry Pi 4 and load the software as if using a desktop PC. The Radio is also remotely powered on with a SmartPlug.

This setup is working well. In March 2020 I’ve as of posting this worked 115 QSOs and heading towards my best year on the air.

My Logbook is filling up nicely. m.0tzo.me 

[This is a blog post, not a setup guide]

Raspberry Pi Updates

I am going to upgrade my broadband with VirginMedia soon, and tonight I spent a few hours setting up using the SuperHub and retiring my old Fon 2.0n router.

This of course caused some issues on my network, but was to expected. Most was sorted by setting the Wifi SSID and Password the same as old router.

The more taxing issue was sorting my 3 Raspberry Pi (Original Pi B, Pi 2 and a Pi 3). They all have static IP address.

Basically I had to change the IP range the Superhub as using from default. Then as the SuperHub had a different DNS address, I decided after some research on how to update the Raspberry Pi to use OpenDNS on them.

Editing with “sudo nano /etc/dhcpcd.conf” the DNS line was amended as follows:

static domain_name_servers=

I finished of the evening updating all 3 Raspberry Pis and wrote this short post.

On a side note, we’re paying around £80 for Phone & Broadband, plus whatever Sky costs. I’m going to use VirginMedia again for all 3 services and even with added movie channels will only be paying around £65 and increased Broadband speed (from about 20Mbps (tested speed) to 200Mbps hopefully on new contract. Sometimes it pays to shop around.